Tuesday, August 11, 2009

You must think I’m crazy!!! (my little secret)

No, this isn’t Susie writing today. I’m her 25 yr old brother who had surgery on Feb 23, 2009 to repair a partially torn labrum of the right hip. I do follow this blog, not religiously like some, and yes, on occasion I’ll comment either as myself, or anonymously like my brother in law and write obnoxious comments. ie don’t hesitate to amputate. But I digress, I’d like to let all of you a little secret, and I don’t say this because Susie is a PT but because it’s true. PT with my therapist, Ira saved my life. My life is dominated by sports, ice hockey, tennis, soccer and the most recent to be added to my list is the triathlon. (oh yeah, skydiving too). I get moody and slightly depressed if I’m not active or in this case, hyper-active. (no I don’t have ADD) Immediately after surgery Susie pushed me to my limit, which on days 1-3 post-op was extremely limited, but this little lesson would help me along the way. PT 2x a week, swimming for an hour every day and stretching with thera-bands among other things. I won’t get to technical with my stretches and regimen b/c that’s not my thing. I’m an analyst by trade. But here’s a little timeline…
8 days out one crutch, 15 days no crutches, 3.5 weeks a mile on the treadmill, 6 weeks 15 minutes running on the treadmill, 10 weeks back on the tennis court, 12 weeks 20 miles on the road bike in an hour Now I won’t say I’m 100% because I do feel pain every now and then, but nothing to indicate a tear. Just general tightness which is easily alleviated by a few stretches but 90-95% sounds about right. I’m 5 ½ months out, I’m back on the ice, playing soccer, riding my bike, playing tennis 2-3x a week and just got back from the state tennis tournament. (4 matches in 3 days in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity). A little hip pain won’t stop me! I just try my best to stretch and stay loose everyday. If you think my life sounds hectic and my days are consumed by sports, you’re right. Did I mention I have a girlfriend too? Oh yeah I like to go out drinking when I get home after playing. So figure I get home at 10, shower, go out and wake up at 7:30 everyday and do it all again. What do you think, can you handle it? Oh wait, I forgot to mention, I’m eyeing a triathlon late Sept early October. You must think I’m crazy!!!!!

No comments: