Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Putting Out

Yesterday, I was speaking with a patient who recently underwent a total hip replacement after years of groin pain. I have treated her for quite a while so we have become close. She was asking me about my hip, and how I am coping.....She asked if I was depressed. I am not, surprisingly. I think so many people with pain are, and I understand why, but luckily, I am not one of them.

The topic of sex got brought up (remember, besides for orthopaedic issues, I am also a pelvic floor therapist). I told her that sex is one of the hardest things for me, it oftentimes hurts, and when the act itself doesn't hurt, I pay for it the next day.

She thought about it for a second and said to me: "Honey, you better put out for him because you don't want him to get it from somewhere else"

Duly noted!

5 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

OMG! Hilarious! It's a good thing you have a sense of humor!

Louisa B said...

Unbelievable...there's empathy for you!!

Kim said...

Wise words most likely :) At least we can laugh.

Jess said...

So true, and yes we can laugh but it is a serious matter too. My hip has caused all sorts of problems with regards to 'putting out'. In my case the hip pain is there both during and after sex. My brain has associated sex with pain and as a result I have a low-zilch libido and certain muscles tense up in anticipation of the pain making penetration almost impossible and painful itself...as you can imagine, with the pain from the hip and the pain of penetration I just don't get the urge any more. It's an awful cycle that has lead to relationship tension, and further stress. I would do anything to get my libido back and once again have a healthy sexual relationship with my husband.
Sorry if that is TMI...just my 2 cents worth.

Unknown said...

Ugh. I'm fighting this battle. First I fought a whole year with the tear and the pain and now I'm fighting the lack of flexibility 6 months post op repair. I'm getting extremely frustrated. In too young for this.