Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures....Or At Least I Thought So

I haven't really mentioned it here before but Z has given me a run for my money. As cute and adorable as he is, he is constantly sick and having "issues" that worry me. His latest has been scary sounding wheezing. About 3 months ago, I took him to a pulmonologist, we will call him douche bag. Db basically said that Z was fine and I was an idiot/ crazy mother who thinks that sniffling is wheezing. I checked DB out with some friends and it turns out that he is pretty much the top pediatric pulmonologist around, but there was no way I could ever deal with him. After discussing with my pediatrician, she agreed that he indeed had acted like a db and that I needed a new pulmonologist ASAP since she was convinced Z would need constant care from one.

Fast forward to about 1 month ago, I see the new pulmonologist, NP. He took one listen to Z and confirmed that he has asthma and some other crazy breathing stuff going on that I won't get into. He thinks he may need to do a bonchoscopy..... this does not make me happy. He told me to try some meds first and come back in 2 weeks.

This is where the desperate times/ desperate measures comes into play. I took Z to a chiropractor after being convinced by a co-worker (non-PT) and a family friend.
The chiropractor assures me that he can "fix" Z. Fast forward 2 weeks, Z has been on his meds and seeing the chiro and is doing great.

Today the chiro suggested I should see him too. I laughed. My issues are soooo ridiculous and so complicated, you don't want me, trust me!! So I left and walked back home, during which I was in a ton of pain. I decided that at that moment in time I was willing to try anything....so I called him and he told me to come in.

He started off by taking an x-ray of my lumbar spine/ pelvis. He was shocked at what he saw. My iliac crests were not even, trochanters were not even and my spine curving in some funky way. I am not quite sure what he had expected but he said that he would expect the spine to curve the other way given the leg length discrepencies. He suggested putting a small lift into the shoe on the non painful side. He did some manips and I was in a lot of pain. The rest of the day the groin pain was pretty bad.

So now I can add chiropractic to my list of "what makes my pain worse", which now includes: walking uphill, pushing my stroller, PT, sex, repetitive crouching to the floor (like when cleaning up toys) and other random activities. I am puting all my money on the PRP injecion!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was looking back at your prior posts...was the little bit of soccer you played with your kids a central aspect of your hip pain flare up? i played 6 wks of soccer prior to mine...even though i never left the field hurt or in pain...my pain flared a week after my last soccer game.
soccermom

Susie said...

No, I played soccer after the flare! Smart, right! At the time of the flare I was doing nothing, really, nothing. I was sitting down on my bed, feeding Z! Sad, very sad!!

Vanessa said...

Funny, I'm sitting around looking to see how the other hip bloggers are fairing and read this...my 19 month old was diagnosed with asthma last week! After a second visit to children's hospital they finally found an answer and it never even ocurred to me. Like, why people kept asking me if he has asthma and that didn't ring a bell, lol. Hope yours is feeling better. I have another MRI-A on Sep 2nd too, will be feeling your injection pain quite literally:)

Good luck!
Vanessa