Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Ups and Downs and Then Some

Since becoming pregnant, I have stopped spinning, not bc I think in any way shape or form that it is harmful to the baby, but I have been to busy puking, lying in bed feeling nauseous, lying in bed feeling sorry for myself that I am so nauseous, or simply lying in bed bc I am too tired to move or do much of anything else. It is also unbelievably hot here, especially over the past few days, my feet have started to swell, which makes me REALLY unhappy.This has never happened to me so early in a pregnancy....but I digress.

My point is that my activity level has gone down...drastically, so my ROM is not as great as it once was and my hips feel tight on and off. This week I was at my breaking point with the tightness and succumbed to asking P for a quick PT session so I could walk like a normal person again. I have had my usual anterior tightness which limits my extension when I walk, so if I have to be anywhere quickly,I have to take smaller steps bc that bungy cord in my hip feeling is back. Not even 5 minutes of some anterior hip mobilizations and quad stretching brought me back to normal! YAY!

I'd like to resume spinning soon but I practically pass out every night once the kids are in bed, especially bc we spend all afternoon outdoors by the pool (I have not gone in for a while bc my bathing suits don't fit anymore...I ordered some this week, I hope they fit!!!)

I remember after one of my surgeries (I'd like to think it was #3, this would support my theory) I told P not to work on my scars, I wanted to see if there would be a difference long term in the appearance and quality of the scar. Given the fact that the revision scars are 4 and 8 months younger than the other scars, they look awful. I really do believe that these were the "experimental scope sites". They were worked on a little bit, P got mad at one point and said I was being ridiculous about it and he was not going to let the scars go to hell. I did let him work on them a little bit, but no where near as much as the other ones. These scars are not red and elevated, and one is pretty painful to the touch. Cosmetically, couldn't care less, trust me, no one ever sees them! And they never get sun, so that is not a problem. I wonder how that plays in with my "nerve pain"/ "invisible bruise" issue. I don't use any creams or scar therapy lotions, I think it is a waste of money, especially given how the other scars look and feel, but it makes me wonder, maybe PT really does work! hahahaha!! Just joking! It was a personal experiment, I always work on my patients scars but there is ever a way to really know of the results would be the same if I didn't, now I know and my work has been validated!!!

Quick Jeff update: He saw OS #2 who confirmed the labral tear diagnosis, despite the fact that he felt the quality of the MRI was pretty poor, and who added "we always order these with contrast". He did not see any FAI. I am concerned about this. Given my extensive personal research and "networking", I cannot think of a single person who has had surgery for JUST a labral tear who is doing exceptionally well. I wold like further investigation into the "no FAI" thing with possible a CT-scan, although my CT-scan missed my FAI.....but better to be safe than sorry.I still strongly believe he needs to make a trip to NY to have this checked out and addressed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,
I posted a comment a couple of weeks ago regarding MRI's. Well, my MRI showed a labral tear in my right hip. I meet with an OS at OHSU (oregon health science university) next week to go over everything. I do not plan on using this OS (if I do go the surgery route) even though she is an up and coming "hotshot" in these surgeries. Since you have a lot of personnel experience on this stuff, I was wondering if you would read my MRI report and see if there's anything that sticks out that I should talk with the OS about?

I know you're not a doc, but getting a "real world" perspective on this would be comforting.

Here's the report:

Thanks,
Maureen

Findings: There is a minimally displaced, tear of the anterosuperior labrum. The superior also demonstrates marked attenuation and irregular morphology, relating to a complex labral tear. The articular cartilage of the lateral acetabular roof is not well seen, however mildly irregular. No paralabral cysts are identified. The
marrow signal is within normal limits. No synovial herniation pits are identified. The anterior alpha angle measures 42 degrees, and there is normal waisting of the femoral neck.
Impression:
1) Minimally displaced, complex anterosuperior labral tear.
2)Mild fibrillation of the articular cartilage of the lateral acetabular roof

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie:
Certainly Jeff comes to NY to visit you from time to time...how about scheduling an appt. for him with Dr. Kelly. You know, it could be an outing...go to the park with the kids...hit lunch...appt. with dr. kelly...dinner and movie. you know there are Non-FAI believer surgeons out there. some can see it like a billboard while others say it just doesn't even exist.

rest and enoy the pregnancy..remember, you have 2 active kids and you should be tired.

and lastly...is scare massage really important. my PT hasn't touched mine once! she did on the other side, though.
soccermom

Anonymous said...

who is this jeff you speak of i read this blog to hear about your probs not someone elses

Susie said...

Maureen, It says you have a labral tear and some cartilage damage, obviously, my first question would be about FAI, is it there, are you sure, really really sure???

Soccermom, I still don't know what the long term outcomes of not doing scar massage are, I can tell you that my non-massaged scope sites look awful, red, raised and painful, and this is 8 months out. I was thinking though that the reddest, angriest one can possibly be the one that bled the first day and soaked trough all the dressings, twice. I told P about it yesterday, and he gloated, but did offer to "repair" the self inflicted damage, I declined, I am no quitter!!! I still want to see what will happen long long term!
What do your massaged sites look like? You can ask your PT why she hasn't done scar massage this time, and possibly have her do it now, it is never too late to start!!!

Anonymous said...

Susie,
can they detect FAI from the MRI?

maureen

Susie said...

Some of mine was detected on MRI, some was not. I think it is generally detected on x-ray, although some of us are so special that even with CT scans it is missed!!!

Anonymous said...

hi susie:
the massaged sites keloid scarred..they look awful. but i do that and i suspect these are going to end up like that too. but the non massaged sites are "stuck" and make horrible looking dimples in my big, fat thighs. i started trying to massage them and break it up and now they hurt....really bad when i move. :(

and maureen...some of us are even lucky to have 3 mra's and 1 mri and go to surgery with people telling us there are no tears...when there are large tears and detachments. clohisy eyeballed the fai in about 2 seconds off my xrays.

soccermom