Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dear Jeff Part II

To avoid any last minute, in the waiting room, phone calls, I am creating a list for Jeff (or anyone) who is going for a second opinion tomorrow for his labral tear.

To recap: Jeff, my younger brother, has been dealing with hip pain since April. He recently saw an OS who ordered an MRI which revealed a labral tear. The OS was clearly clueless about hips, so I found another OS locally for Jeff to bring his films to and get more answers.

1)What caused my labral tear?
2)Do I have FAI
3)What type of FAI, cam, pincer or both?
4)Do I have any cartilage damage?
5)Do I need surgery?
6)Can it be done arthroscopically? Can all the FAI be addressed arthroscopically?
7)If I put off having surgery, will this get worse?
8)When can I return to sports?
9)What about a cortisone injection?

I think that about covers it! Did I miss anything?
I am not including questions about the surgeon's experience and post-op protocols etc since you all know how I feel about "other"OS's and know that if he needs surgery, he won't be having it in Miami.
Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

cabrado12 said...

Hi Susie,
I am not sure if you remember me, but I posted on here a few months back when you asked how many people out there needed a revision and such. I said I was a 27, now 28, patient of Dr. Kelly's that lives in FL and was continuing to have problems afer my surgery of a labral deb., psoas release, and synovectomy. Well I just wanted to updated you on my status and what has been going on since I saw Dr. kelly last in June!

Turns out I have a posterior impingement and bone spurs as well as some femoral antiversion or retroversion...can't remember which to be honest with you. I had a work-up of new scans in June and all of them found these things...why they weren't found before, I don't know! Anyway, I am having surgery again on July 31st. Only thing is this time it will be an open procedure and they can't get to the posterior imp. through a scope. I will have to be in the hospital for 3-5 days and in NY/NJ for 2 weeks. I will be having pins put in my leg as the will be re-aligning the femoral head as it sits incorrectly in the joint. This is going to be a huge surgery and I am freaking out of course, but I guess it has to be done to rid me of this horrible pain I live with every day.

I just wanted to let you know what has taken place since we last chatted. I hope you are doing well and congrats on the baby news!

Carrie

Susie said...

Wow Carrie, what a pain! I am sorry you have to go through such a huge procedure, but it must be a relief to know there is an end in sight. Lots of luck with the surgery and recovery, thanks for keeping me updated and let meknow what happens!
Susie