Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Was Right

I love hearing those words, even though the other times I have heard them, it was not relating to great things (i.e hip scopes), but nevertheless, there is something "ego building" about it. The other times were here and here, relating to my non-psoas release days.

So....an update on Jeff: He has a labral tear. I have the MRI report and will share some key lines, but it has no mention of FAI. I am going to have him call and get the radiology report on the x-rays too. The OS told him to take 6 weeks and do nothing. If he still has pain, he can come back and get a cortisone injection, and maybe get the area "resurfaced" (I think he meant scoped to clean up the tear). Obviously, without a cause for the tear, he would not let him "resurface" it, and even more obviously, I would not let him have surgery with that guy.

"Evaluation of the unilateral images and the bi-lateral coronal T1- weighted sequence does demonstrate a region of irregularity and signal change within the superior acetabular labrum centrally extending anteriorly. This finding is suggestive of fibrillation and likely a focal area of tearing in this location."

Wow, I am so good I can diagnose over the phone (that must be the ego talking :-)

2 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Wow - interesting to have another tear in your family. And sorry to your brother for having to go through this - at least you've blazed the trail for him! Are you getting him up to NY to see Dr. Kelly?

I hope they are able to determine the cause of his tear. Shit, I wish they were able to determine the cause of mine!!! ;-)

Susie said...

He saw an OS a few weeks ago who seems to know nothing about hips. I found him someone else who (on paper) seems to know about labral tears, FAI and does hip arthroscopy. I really want him to find out if he has FAI, and take it from there. If this guy thinks he needs surgery, he will have it done in NY.
I wish you could find out what happenned too!