Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Countdown Begins

Today was my official "pre-op/ post-op" appointment, after this they will all be post-op/ post-op.

My non-operated hip has been pretty bad since a little incident on Monday requiring me to sprint after jk to prevent him from scaling a fence close to a river! It was a close call, interestingly, I had zero pain during the actual run, but I limped home afterwards!

I only waited about an hour this time, not too bad! I happen to really like my surgeon, he is an excellent surgeon with great bedside manner, something you don't always find. The first thing he said was "sorry for the wait". I know he must say it a lot, but it is nice to hear!

Really, this could have been done for the most part over the phone...he moved my hip around, checked my range of motion, and that was pretty much it! He then proceeded to check the non-operated hip, which he had already done at my last visit. That visit consisted of me telling him the other side was torn and him telling me it was just "muscular". I have already had an MRI on it, there was no need to move it and check it, but he did...now it really hurts, and for no good reason!
I asked him if he needed an x-ray of the hip before the surgery, he was surprised that there won't one done last time. I, again, reminded him that last time he doubted that there was a real issue but I insisted on getting an injection, so he requested an MRI then.

I also asked him if I can have the same anesthesiologist this time, I loved mine last time. I am petrified of spinals (I had a spinal with sedation). He said we can try, but honestly, they are all great! And the ones that are not great don't last!

I also discussed my pain med issue, I do not want a repeat of day 3 from last time. To prevent this, we are going to try darvocet for pain, and zofran for nausea! Zofran is my favorite drug in the world, I discovered it during my first pregnancy, 8 weeks into it, I threw up 5 times before lunch! Zofran changed my life, and allowed me to think about getting pregnant a second time without fear of uncontrollable nausea and vomiting!!

When the tear was discovered in my other hip, I spoke to my surgeon and he said he does second sides 8-12 weeks out. I decided to wait longer, I was not ready then! Today, he agreed with me that it was smart to wait until now to do it!
After he examined me, he said "ok, I think we should proceed with the surgery, if you feel comfortable", "I alredy scheduled it for a week from Monday!!" I told him!
As much as I am dreading starting from scratch, I am looking forward to regaining the use of both legs and getting out of this pain once and for all!!!

No comments: