Friday, August 19, 2011

What A Long Journey This Has Been

I definitely owe everyone a quick summary of what has been going on lately with my hip, but today is my 10th wedding anniversary, and all I can think of is that I have been dealing with my hip for half of my married life. It is making me very depressed.

To quickly summarize what has been going on, my OS really would like to avoid operating on me, for the 5th time. I can't blame him! So he is proposing we try something called ARP wave therapy. No one really can tell me what it is, other than a certain type of electrical stimulation. No one really knows if it will work but it can't hurt, so why not. I will hopefully know more about it in the next week.

In the meantime, I have decided to get a second opinion from another surgeon, an unbiased, no baggage, black and white, second opinion. I think that my OS and I have too much history for either of us to make the right decision at this point. If in the end I do need surgery, I will probably go with my OS, but I would like someone else to look at my films and tell me what they think. Someone who doesn't know me, and frankly, doesn't care if I have more surgery or not. The appointment is not set up yet, I left a message for his office staff.

In the meantime, I go through good days and bad days, and of course, this makes the process so much more difficult. If I always had good days, well, you wouldn't be reading about this. If I only had bad days, I wouldn't question anything. Its the good and bad that make me doubt everything, make me question everything, and quite frankly, are driving me crazy. There is no rhyme or reason at times either as to why I feel the way I do. I wore heels for a few hours yesterday without a bit of pain. I can actually usually wear heels and my hip doesn't hurt. It does feel awful in the sense that I don't walk well with them, I feel unstable, and my feet hurt!! I actually often have a sense of instability in my right hip, I try to avoid extending it fully when I walk by doing a strange rotation thing with my pelvis. Very strange!!

So the waiting game continues. I am waiting to hear more about the ARP wave, waiting to see if it works, waiting to get an appointment from my second opinion, and waiting to see if this will all go away, just as quickly as it came on!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.orthosupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=84493
Not hinting that it applies to you, but interesting read.