Monday, August 29, 2011

More Problems With UHC

I know a lot of you are drawn to my blog because of the battles I had with United Healthcare at the time of my last surgery. I hope my blog has been helpful to you. Now I am back in the trenches with them and extremely mad. This time, it is not about my hip, but it is about reimbursement. If anyone can share some advice on this, I would be grateful.
About a month ago, I had a bad infection on my hand that required me to go see a hand surgeon. I needed to be seen right away and ended up going to someone out of network who saw me that day. I paid upfront, she did a procedure in the office, and my hand got better. United Healthcare is allowing a fraction of the amount I paid the surgeon and reimbursing me very very little. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? I have to appeal this now, but don't have as much time as I did with the last appeal since I am currently working, and not home recovering from surgery.
Please comment here for others to see as well, or email me suzq613@aol.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, that is why many docs opt out of insurance - they pay peanuts for hard work which requires education, office staff, supplies, etc. If your doc took insurance, thats all he or she would see. (Or maybe a bit more since you probably have a larger pt responsibility for out of network - but still a mere fraction of what the work is worth!)

You can try to argue that the procedure was urgent and any delay would have caused something terrible (infection risking your tendons and function in your hand?) and you had no choice but to go out of network. But I doubt it will go far.

Good luck!!!!