Monday, May 28, 2007

My own Findings

In my last post, I wrote positive, positive, positive!! But what does this mean?
I have now self diagnosed myself as having a labral tear with some sort of femoracetabular impingement. A quick lit review does not turn up too much info, so off to my PT books, little luck there too. As always, my trusty friend google is here to help!
For days, I spent hours on the computer, finding out everything I could, and more importantly, finding someone who could help me. As a PT, I have seen my share of botched surgeries, although no surgeon will admit it was their fault, it is either the PT's fault for being too aggressive, or not aggressive enough, or the patients fault for not being compliant. I have always known that if I ever needed some sort of ortho work done, there was only one hosptial I would go to, so my surgeon had to be there.
Well, lucky for me, the 2 reputable surgeons in the area who perform arthroscopic surgery for hip labral tears are at that hospital. A quick call to a professor from PT school eliminates one of them, as do insurance issues.
My call to make the appointment did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. The receptionist tells me that this doctor only deals with sports injuries of the hip, since my "injury" did not occur during sports, he would not see me. Seriously, but I have what he treats. Well, I guess he'll see you but if he thinks you are not appropriate for his practice he will refer you out.
OK, so I had chosen a surgeon, and had actually made the call to see him, and his receptionist was going to stand in my way of getting an appointment, no way.
OK, so why don't you give me the appointment, and have his PA call me, I will discuss it with her, and if she thinks my case is not worthy of his time, I will cancel the appointment. This seemed like a good compromise to her, so I got an appointment for 4 weeks later.
2 days later, the PA called me, I explained what had happened with the receptionist, and I told her about my positive findings...."of course you should come in" she said!!
So the take home message is to stand up for yourself, and push for what you believe is right and what you need!!! Don't back down without a fight!!!!
I am writing this 5 months after it happened, the surgeon has gotten one surgery from me and has another one coming in 5 weeks...I wonder if he would agree that my case was not appropriate for his practice!!!

No comments: