Monday, May 28, 2007

Its always because of the kids


Once you have kids, you always have someone to place the blame on, like when I accidentally hit the yellow pole in our garage, my husband asked me how the yellow paint got on our black car....well, the kids were yelling and I was distracted and as I was reaching back to give them crackers, bam, I hit it!!!!So, how did I injure my hip? Unfortunately for me, I don't have an exciting story, I wasn't skydiving, or skiing or even playing sports. The one thing I am sure of is that prior to this episode, I never had hip problems. I am a PT, in PT school, there are no models, anything you learn, you learn on each other, and then practice again and again on each other. So I know in PT school my hips were perfect.
My son was born in Nov 2005, he was a VBAC, immediately following his birth, I remember having hip pain, but lets be honest, after having a baby, everything else hurts too, so some hip pain was not too alarming at the time. And it disappeared, so I forgot about it.
Fast forward exactly one year later, hip pain. Weird, hip pain, in my groin, I cannot touch it, it is deep and achy, it hurts to drive, it hurts to walk, but my muscles and tendons don't hurt...hmmmm, what is going on.
A few days later, it is still there, I tell a colleague, she works on me, it felt great! She released my iliacus muscle (which killed) and did some traction on my leg, I felt great! I practically skipped to my car, I was cured....Until later that night, I felt worse.
What could be happening??? I decided to try some hip tests on myself, which is awkward, but I was not ready to admit to anyone else I was having a problem, and being the control freak that I am, I did not want any surprises and was not going to let someone else diagnose me before I had already decided what was wrong.
Hmmmm...positive, positive, positive. Now what?
The next day I was worse, so I had 2 other collegues work on me, again, I felt better immediately after, but worse later on.
I needed a better game plan, so I decided to try strengthening as well. Bad idea! Exercise was making me worse as well.
Where would I turn now? As a PT, I was not ready to throw in the towel, but there was honestly nothing I could do to help myself, it was time to find a surgeon who could help me.


No comments: