Sunday, March 3, 2013

13 weeks

I saw my OS last week and he seemed fine with my (lack of) progress. He said he'd much rather I take things slow given my colorful history with my hip. At this point I have more trochanter pain than groin pain for the most part. He said that as my muscles get stronger, the forces on the joint will decrease and the groin pain will stop. He has said that before and I never quite understood until now. Right now my abductors and external rotators are very weak so my hip is always wanting to adduct and internally rotate, putting excessive strain in the joint and causing groin pain. The more I walk the more groin pain I have. Same for the trochanter pain, the more I walk the more it hurts. For the trochanter pain, he prescribed a topical cream that has an anti inflammatory, muscle relaxant, anesthetic, gabapentin and some other stuff. He thinks it will help with the trochanter pain. He also casually mentioned that some people need the screws out to get rid of the trochanter pain. Topical cream sounds like a much better solution!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had hardware out though it went in for a slightly different reason. I know another surgery is the last thing you want to think about, but it was actually a pretty easy surgery (even easier than one of my scopes actually!) and it made a huge difference. I know you will cross that bridge if you arrive at it, but for me it wasnt a big bridge and I am very glad I did it.

Susie said...

Everyone says "it's no big deal" but I think I have major PTSD! Every time I am near, let alone inside the hospital where I had my surgeries (all 7) I go into minor panic mode. My heart starts racing and my anxiety level shoots up. I guess if I need the hardware out I will have to deal w it one way or another. I am not opposed to a few Xanax!

Pepper said...

For me any surgery is a biggie. As one of my friends( anesthesiologist ) said putting people to sleep is easy, waking them up is how I make my money . Susie I hope you will continue to get better, for me Im having lower back problems (si joint) we think. Being on one leg or 2 crutches for 7 weeks. Since the labral tears and microfracture hip arthroscopy. I didn't do pr but once this week because of back locking and spasming on me. Thanks again for ur post which if everyone doesn't know started in 2007 if I'm correct. U sure r a hell of a fighter.

Pepper said...

Susie after reading one of your post I was going to try acupuncture to release some tension anxiety and pain if possible . But ln Mississippi I guess alternative medicines like acupuncture is illegal . I would have to drive to Memphis Tn Birmingham Al or go to Louisiana . So that is out of the question. Because I'm already riding 2 hours one way 2-3 times a week for physical therapist who deal with hip arthroscopy and microfracture on weekly basis. You all keep battling and stay positive. Coach from Mississippi

Pepper said...

Excuse me since 2009- 2010 did ms pass a law ok acupuncture. Have to have a prescription from treating physician to get treatment though. Only 4 known practicing in ms at this time. Maybe I need to quit coaching and go back to school to learn the art of acupuncture. The door is wide open for people who want to practice