Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shoulder Update

I was able to get an appointment today for my shoulder, luckily, as I don't think I could have gone on for one more day with that pain. My shoulder OS was not happy to re-inject me at all :-( He was worried about fat atrophy and warned me that if ti happened I would not be happy. I explained that I am having hip surgery on 12/1 and cannot address shoulder until after that. I also added that it is hard for me to work and function at the moment given the pain. He thinks I need to get it taken care of, possibly before hip. Given my current mental and emotional state regarding my hip, that is not even up for discussion. He asked me how often I use my hip to manipulate a patient!!! Good point, but I'm still not even considering that. I think I am probably going to schedule it about 5 weeks after hip surgery, I know it is crazy but I need to get everything taken care of once and for all.

I spoke to my PT since I was at the hospital and we discussed my upcoming hip surgery and I wanted his take on the shoulder. He agrees that it needs to be taken care of and thinks 5 weeks after is not at all unreasonable.

So...hip then shoulder.......HEELLLPPP!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your shoulder. That stinks! I am, however, very jealous that you do get to have hip surgery - even though it's surgery and it's not something to be taken lightly. I just lost my 4th appeal with Aetna, and I have no idea what I'm doing to do. I can't keep living in this much pain, but because we're not independently wealthy, and I have a stupid health insurance company, I guess I have to. I feel so hopeless, and it's terrible knowing that I have to keep living with increasing pain indefinitely.

Sorry. Just had to vent. Good luck!! I'm sorry that you have your shoulder to deal with on top of your hip :-(

Louisa B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louisa B said...

actually google doesn't recognise its address as set it up 20 mins ago, so anyone interested might want to go the facebook search and type in hip arthroscopy fai - Aetna campaign.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, louisawb. I just joined the group. It's been such a nightmare, and I hate that I'm helpless in this situation.

Louisa B said...

HI there, Sorry about your shoulder, unbelievably mines gone two, so thats 2 hips and 1 shoulder, Joy... still following your story after all this tiem and still on my own journey too.
Anyhow reading the post above and others complaining about Aetna I have set up a campaign group on facebook for Aetna vistims to all directly be able to get in touch with each other. I hope you don't mind me putting its link here o your fab site>? Its just you're a fantastic resource and the above email triggered it and it seems well placed here. X
its on facebook groups "aetna campaign for hip arthroscopy."
Apol, had to re-post as gave link to my own profile, duh!

Susie said...

Louisa, email me the link and I will post it as its own post on my blog so that Aetna victims can easily locate it.

SJ said...

Ahhhhhh! Wow! I am a little behind on what is going on..but shocked that your shoulder is going under too...wow! You are soooooooo strong so if anyone can do this it is you..I really hope they take care of all of you once and for all..you have been through the ringer my friend and you deserve a pain free life. My thoughts are with you and call me if you want to vent or chat! So sorry you have to go through all of this!!! xox, Sarah

Ryan said...

I started a PETITION on CHANGE.ORG to persuade Aetna to pay for FAI hip surgery. Please sign it and if possible post it to your blog!

www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fpetitions%2Faetna-health-insurance-company-cover-the-surgery-needed-to-repair-the-hip-condition-known-as-fai%3Fshare_id%3DMxJgpAUJpk%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook%26utm_source%3Dshare_petition%26utm_term%3Dautopublish&h=PAQFZodHOAQGJGwZOeWj4oLA0kEQ-K-W6v70mLPQ1hhv7BA

Ryan said...

OOPS! that was the wrong link for the petition. HERE is the right one!

www.change.org/petitions/aetna-health-insurance-company-cover-the-surgery-needed-to-repair-the-hip-condition-known-as-fai

Ryan said...

Hi Susie! I am wondering if you can post about this petition so that maybe it can get some attention. thanks!

http://www.change.org/petitions/aetnas-policy-0736-is-unfair-and-unethical