Sunday, July 17, 2011

MRI Verdict

I spoke with my OS abt the latest MRI. We did a T2 mapping study to visualize the cartilage and get a better picture of the hip. He reviewed my MRI w the radiologist and says that there is no question that I have micro instability bc: 1) the ligamentum teres is torn (not sure if more torn since last surgery bc its the most difficult structure to image) 2) labrum is very small and can no longer provide suction to the joint 3) the anterior capsule is thinned out near the iliofemoral ligament, this is an area that was previously thickened (after the last surgery).
All of this is causing small, excessive motion in the joint. He is not 100% sure what is causing the posterior pain but says it is most likely the ligamentum teres. The cartilage in the back of the joint is a little thinned as well.
He wants me to continue to strengthen the muscles around the hip in order to provide stability to it. The only surgical option is an open surgery- which I told him makes me want to throw up! He knows I feel very very strongly abt not wanting more surgery. We did not get into details abt what he would actually do in said surgery, other than the fact that its a big deal and he has only done 5 of them before.
He is recommending I see a chiro who deals with musculoskeletal issues and treats professional athletes (not sure how he will feel about treating an everyday housewife :-) and does "different" types of therapies. I obviously don't need ART or any release work since I already have instability, and I looked up the chiro and all his techniques are release techniques...but I guess we need to try everything, and I know enough (and have a big enough mouth) to not let him do anything I think will make me worse.
So it's off to the chiro I go!!!!!

No comments: