Sunday, June 10, 2007

When it rains, it pours

At this point, there is a torrential downpour in my life. Let me start off on a positive note, my hip is doing great. I have made some more progress and now have very very little pain, hurray!!!
Monday morning, I was working with a patient, she made a funny comment and I started laughing. As I laughed, I got a sharp pain in my stomach. Later that night, it happened again, I told my husband under no circumstances can he make me laugh, which made it impossible for both of us not to!!! Over the next 2 days, I continued to have pain in my stomach. By Wed., I sent an email to my doctor. Besides for being a 26 year old with hip problems, I also have stomach issues, namely Crohn's disease. It usually doesn't affect me, other than after my hipscope, I couldn't take the anti-inflammatories my doctor prescribed (more on that to follow).
After seeing my doctor, and having a CT scan, it was determined that I was indeed having a Crohn's flare up, as well as a gallstone. This seemed to come out of nowhere for me, and I just started to laugh. It is definitely not funny, but how much more can go wrong in a short amount of time. My doctor said the only thing to do for the gallstone is surgery, which made me laugh again, because I cannot even begin to think about having a third surgery anytime soon. So I am leaving it as is for the time being, or until I am so miserable that I crawl back to the doctor and beg for surgery.
So what caused my Crohn's flare up? Well, after a hipscope, my surgeon prescribes pain killers and anti-inflammatories, but I was only on the painkillers. After 2 1/2 months, I thought I should have less hip pain post-op, so I sought out a second opinion on the anti-inflammatories and was told they were ok, as long as I did not abuse them. So I began taking Aleve, one a day, for about a week. A week later, a flare up. My doctor can't and won't confirm if it was a direct link to the meds, but it was my first flare up in 9 months, so it really makes me think!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is like hearing myself think! We are so much alike, it's scary. Your wit, need for absolute control and thought process mirror mine. I am 29, 3 days post op from L hip and knee scope for repair of labral tear, bone spur, dislocation and cartilage flap, one week from 30, and 30 days post diagnostic confirmation (my diagnosis, of course) of having inherited my maternal familial condition of Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia. I have to mention that it is annoying me to distraction to not include my medically accurate procedural terms but will fight the urge for times sake.
Thank you for you blog. I cannot describe the peace and validation I feel while reading your posts.
~Alicia