Thursday, July 5, 2007

What a Difference a Day Makes

I have almost no pain today, I am in shock, my muscles are sore, and very weak, but my pain is almost non-existent. I know this is a change from last time. I don't even know what to attribute it to, more work was done this time, unless, a tiny thought lingers in the back of my mind, not enough work was done the first time. I quickly brush this aside, it is highly unlikely.

My numbness is definitely there. I spoke with Dr Kelly's office today, there is a tiny possibility of nerve damage, but they are really careful with portal placement, so also, unlikely. Hopefully it is due to swelling, and will resolve in time as the swelling does. I have been icing like crazy, this may also attribute to my lack of pain.

I took one Percocet this morning, had PT and took a 4 block walk, then took 2 Tylenol, I really want to be off of narcotic painkillers.
Pt went like this. First, I had J check my sensation, she agreed that it was parasthesia most likely due to swelling, since there is a lot, but agreed that I should call Dr.Kelly about it. I wanted to try some active assisted ROM, so we did hip flexion, abduction, and active assisted heel slides. I rode the bike again, for some reason, it is still difficult for me. I did isometric abduction with a green theraband, and isometric adduction with the "kegel ball". J worked on my ROM, very gentle, emphasizing flexion at this point, but I am past 90', like last time, IR is coming back the slowest, but it will be back soon! I also did stool IR/ER and extension.
Disclaimer: A lot of what I did is a little accelerated for Dr. Kelly's protocol, but I made my own call on this and felt ready. My surgery was just a debridement, probably (even though I hate to admit it) best for my lifestyle, since I need a quick recovery, and don't want to constantly have a fear of retearing the repair. Don't get me wrong, I really did want him to repair it, but I am happy this way as well.
I am also putting more than 20lbs of pressure on my foot, again, I am calling the shots and feel like this is ok, for me, at this point. I tried walking with one crutch but was unable to do it well due to weakness.

Hmm, maybe it was my prehab that helped? I will never know, but I wasn't doing a ton on that side in my workouts, isometrics hurt, bridging hurt, single leg stance hurt....who knows!! I will continue trying to figure it out. Or, maybe it is just too numb for me to process the pain!!

No comments: