Friday, February 22, 2013

11.5 weeks post op


I have spent the last 2 weeks on "vacation" and then recovering from vacation! I went w my family to Disney World, mostly because my kids really wanted to go, and L had told me over winter vacation, when we didn't go anywhere, that "it was the worst vacation ever". Sorry kid, I was 3 weeks postop and could barely get out of bed!
I rented a scooter and the trip went fine! Now that I am home I am playing catch up with work and life. 
I am still on 2 crutches but can do some walking in the house with 1. I still am very limited with walking with 1 and am feeling discouraged because the progress is super slow. I am also making a few more "public appearances" and am really sick of people saying "oh, you are still on crutches? How much longer do you have to use them?" I wish it was that simple and I could say "I have to use them until Monday and then I will be perfect". I wish I knew how much longer I would need them! I wish I didn't need them anymore!
There is no magic number of weeks on crutches, weeks of not driving, weeks of not working etc. Unless you have had this procedure (or any procedure) you won't get it. If you are an outsider looking in, don't ask "how much longer until...." We don't know. If we knew, we would tell you!
I have started driving more and spent quite a while in the car yesterday. I also ran my first errand. I went to one store and bought one thing. I have to start somewhere!

2 comments:

Pepper said...

Yes no one can tell you how long one will be on crutches. I along with others are wondering the same thing. I have an awesome wife who is handling all the household chores and taking care of a 7 year old and a 16 year old step daughter. I have friends and family and coaching comrades asking me when am I going to be back to normal. All I can say now it takes 3-6 months to recover. I pray that I do recover and am doing pt 3 days a week.I just don't feel to good About some of my pain that has come back. Trying to stay a positive man and coach

Pepper said...

And I hope and pray that you and others that have had this surgery get pain free. And to others go as long as you can before having this surgery