Thursday, January 10, 2013

5 1/2 weeks post op

Sigh! It's been 5 1/2 weeks, you would think that by now I could manage my pain effectively and cope with this situation. I really dislike having to take pain meds so I wind up in a mess of a situation some days. I try to avoid narcotics so I'll start to have pain, I'll try taking 3 extra strength Tylenols, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. What happens next is the pain will get worse and I'll start asking myself if I really need pain meds..... This will continue until I realize that I can barely walk and I have tears in my eyes from pain....and then I realize that I am being ridiculous about the meds. But because I let the pain get so out of control its hard to get it back under control. At 5 1/2 weeks postop I can say that now I have left the house 3 more times- once for Z's birthday party, once for a manicure and once for a quick lunch with a friend. Each outing is exhausting both physically and mentally. Additionally, the motivation to go out is not there. I look so worn out, I have no energy or desire to stand in the bathroom and put on makeup or do my hair. I haven't attempted to put on anything other than sweatpants or yoga pants for fear of anything touching my greater trochanter. If I am lying close to the edge of my bed and my kids sit next to me, it hurts if they touch my leg there. Needless to say I am still not driving. I keep saying "maybe next week". So at 51/2 weeks I don't spend the day in bed but I am home. I work from home which is a godsend. If I get busy and sit too long I get pretty bad pain. I try to rest ad ice during the day but it doesn't always happen. I am trying to be patient....

2 comments:

Nitewriter said...

I'm so sorry the post-op pain is still so bad. Hang in there. Recovery can take a long time but it'll be worth it in the long run. It's good you work at home (as do I). Do some fun stuff to keep your mind sharp and occupied and off the prospect of the long recovery. I've started writing a couple of short little kindle books on various topics. Hang in there -- there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Neil said...

I'm with you on the trochanter pain, that really bothers me at the moment. I've just had today's PT session, and the groin side of the joint feels really sore too, I'm not giving up on my pain relief just yet. My GP (do you have those in the US?) recommends not easing up too early for exactly the reason you describe, it's much harder to relieve pain that has really got a hold, so he pursuaded me to keep on with the co-codamol (you probably have a different name for it!) for quite some time longer. Hang in there hon.